Tuesday, October 9, 2007

That sucked

Let me just get a mild frustration rant out of my system.

Negatives:

Wang - Allowed over 10 earned runs in 5.2 innings pitched. That's fucking awful. He would have redeemed himself by pitching a solid 6-7 innings in Game 4 but instead can't get an out beyond the first inning. Sinker not sinking. Slider doing absolutely nothing.

However, the Yankees don't even get to the playoffs without Wang. He was the best starter the Yankees had this year. He had a 1.294 WHIP with a 117 ERA+. Groundballs were not nearly as frequent this year for him, but his strikeouts went up. It really got me angry because I was at this game expecting a gem and before I could blink, Sizemore had given the bleacher creatures a souvenir and after I'd realized that, Mike Mussina was throwing warm up tosses with Indians hanging out on each base. Wang's very good but he needs to figure out how to get his sinker working again. The guy frequently this year did not have his best stuff, as evidenced by the sharp decrease in G/F ratio as well as just watching the guy pitch.

Posada - couldn't hit anything in this series, going .133/.235/.200. Also did not call great games in my opinion. And I also think he could have at least blocked one of the Joba wild pitches.

That said, gotta resign the guy. He came up through the system and I can't and don't want to see him anywhere else. And the Yankees don't exactly have a Joe Mauer waiting in Triple A either.

Jeter - struggled mightily in this series. .176/.176/.176 in this series, hit into THREE double plays.
THREE. He twice did it with a runner on third, in instances which you need to get a run home somehow. In fairness to Jeter, the second one was a hard hit ball right up the middle that looked like a hit off the bat, but Cabrera had it played perfectly. Ugh, it was also just frustrating to see Jeter struggle like that. I wanted to see him and ARod just go nuts this series, but oh well.

Now some positives:

Cano - hit very well this series. .333/.375/.800, with 2 HR. Hope this guy continues his 2nd half from this year for the whole season in 2008.

ARod - .267/.353/.467. Not great, but certainly not terrible. Had a rough first two games, but hit pretty well in games 3 and 4. Anyone in the press that shits on ARod for not "hitting when it mattered" can go disembowel themselves. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE AROD.

Hughes - pitched 5.2 innings striking out 6, walking none, and allowed just one run on a Garko homer when the Yanks were already down 8 runs. Cannot wait to see how the rotation looks next year with him, Kennedy and Chamberlain. Another interesting thing that I noticed. He only throws about 92-93 mph, but everybody tends to be late on it. It looks harder than the gun says. And considering the fact that, being 21 and still not done maturing physically, he may pick up more velocity as time goes by, he could be like a young Mike Mussina.

Pettitte - pitched reminiscent of 1996 WS game 6 in game 2. Just gutty as hell and was sharp as hell. Hope to see him return next year.

Also, I must say, I don't dislike Cleveland. I like their team. Sizemore, Hafner, Martinez, Sabathia, Carmona, Betancourt, Perez, etc. They're a good team. Despite the fact they knocked off the Yankees, I want to see them go all the way. It pissed me off that every team that I don't like won in all of the other series. I wanted Philly to win. They lost. I wanted Chicago to win. They lost. I didn't really want Anaheim to win, I just hate the Red Sox more and just wanted them out. Anaheim lost. I fucking hate this baseball season. If the Red Sox win, then this baseball season will officially be declared as the most annoying baseball season ever next to 2004.

2007 was a disappointment. But not to despair Yankees fans. This team has some young talent that will be great to watch in 2008 onward.

No comments: