Friday, February 22, 2008

There are some people who should just be tied to the back of the A Train and dragged from Inwood to Far Rockaway: this guy's one of them

Here we go again...

Award won't change Pedroia's attitude
AL Rookie of the Year doesn't feel he has anything to prove

1. Brian Bannister shouldn't feel he's got anything to prove with that 1.2 WHIP and 121 ERA+ on the KC Royals. Josh Fields shouldn't feel like he's got anything to prove with those 23 homers and .480 SLG in only 100 games, aside from learning how to not strike out every 3 at bats. Reggie Willits shouldn't feel like he's got anything to prove with that .293 BA and .391 OBP last year.

Any of those men should have won the AL Rookie of the Year over Pedroia.

2. Yes, Dustin. You do have something to prove. You need to prove you're not just a Fenway Park-aided David Eckstein (.351/.410/.502 at home, .282/.349/.380 on the road).

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The proverbial chip that an undersized player carries on his shoulder for inspiration clearly doesn't go away one American League Rookie of the Year trophy later, or even after a heroic postseason.

Oh please, everyone's sick of this shit.

"Oh look at him go! He's so little but he's really big! He's so amazing! You think he's too small but he's proven all you haters wrong!!!"

-every Red Sox fan everywhere beating off to the picture of Pedroia in Big Floppy's arms

No, it's still there. All you had to do was be at Dustin Pedroia's locker early Sunday morning to see it manifest.

Does Pedroia have anything to prove after fueling the Red Sox in such emphatic fashion a year ago?

I already gave you the answer. But let me guess what this overrated little sack of shit had to say.

Reporter: Hey Dustin, after winning the Rookie of the Year, MVP, Cy Young, Rolaids Relief and Silver Slugger at 5'1" and 113 pounds, and then single-handedly winning the World Series for the Red Sox by hitting 11 walk-off grand slams in the postseason, do you feel you have anything to prove?
Pedroia: You know what, I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I'm good. I know I'm good. And I'm TOUGH and GRITTY. I give 3000%. I'm always going to be ME. A lot of people have a problem with ME being ME. I for one will always be ME. If you have a problem with ME being ME, then don't watch ME.

How close was I?

"I don't really care what people think -- I don't really have to prove anything to anybody," said Pedroia. "I just have to prove stuff to my teammates. I don't [care] what anybody says about me. I'm going to go out there and be who I am and if you don't like it, watch somebody else. That's all I care about."


You don't have to prove anything to anybody. You just have to prove stuff to your teammates.

Does anyone see an inconsistency here?

Oh and by the way, I was close, wasn't I?

And that Rookie of the Year Award? Sure, it meant something special to Pedroia at the time. But listen to the man speak, and it's clear he's not seeking pats on the back for past accomplishments.

"I don't think about that, man," Pedroia said. "That's just something that sportswriters voted on. I don't think I was the best rookie. I didn't really think about it. The only thing I knew is I got an opportunity to play in the World Series and we won. That's what our goal was all year. The whole Rookie of the Year thing, I'm not really concerned about it. I actually, I might put a little holster on it and hold up my garage door and put it down there."

Oh your humility is touching...

It's highly doubtful Pedroia will actually use his well-earned trophy as a garage door ornament, but you get the idea. This is a player who feeds off his feistiness.

Feed off this:














Still feeling feisty?

























Didn't think so.

No comments: